Saturday, February 7, 2009

So what you're saying Doc is that Zac is colorblind, has another tumor, and needs his tonsils out? AM I BEING PUNKED?

Just an average 3 year old check up... NOT REALLY!!!

We took Zac for his 3 year old check up this week. We had noticed a lump on his back that looked a lot like the lump he had this summer on his neck (it was a benign tumor called a Lipoma, which we had removed) the doctor said it looked like another Lipoma but because of the location it wouldn't be as urgent to remove this time. But he wants him to meet with an Oncologist to find out why a 3 year old is getting multiple Lipomas.

I was also concerned that Zac might be color blind. My doctor said a lot of kids his age are still confused with colors, and I said , no you don't understand, he knows his numbers, his letters, his shapes, but NEVER gets any colors right except for sometimes blue things. We have worked so much on it too, but it doesn't help! So he did a pediatric color blindness test on him on his lap top where they point out the shapes they see and Zac totally failed it! We have to have a more intense test done by a Optomitrist, but it's like 99% sure that Zac is colorblind!

Then he wanted to check out his tonsils cuz he's been worried about their size the last few times, and found out that he had strep throat! Weird cuz he wasn't acting sick at all but his tonsils were HUGE! So the doctor really wants to get him evaluated to get them removed (cuz they always look big even when he's not sick, but they were like the size of my fist this time)

Then he said we should bring in Landon to see if he had strep too, and the next day we found out he did. so weird. There's these types of strep going around with no fever or other symptoms. Landon had been a little fusy and not wanting to eat like normal, so we thought he might be teething his 2 year old molars, nope, strep!

They're both 100% better, just an odd week. And more follow ups with Zac and more surgeries to come for that little boy, so sad :(

10 comments:

betsey said...

Crazy! What an appointment. I'm glad that you are such a fighter and that Zac is such a fighter too... Go Team Ayres! Give them both a big squeeze from us :)

Kelli said...

Oh, Amber, your poor boy! Surgeries for little ones stink. Ewan had to have a minor one at 18 months, and I know it was harder on me than him, but I hated it so bad. But good for you on being insistent about checking him for color-blindness. Doctors push what we say aside so much and don't believe us.

Katherine said...

ah, my poor baby!I have nothing to complain about!

LCFrohm said...

Holy crap, Ambs! I can't even imagine going in for a routine appointment, and having all of that laid on me.
Good luck! Know we'll be thinking of ya'll.

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry about your boys, Zac especially. Luckily, he is a tough kid!

The Nobles said...

I am so sorry this doctor visit went so unexpected. I hope the next doctor visits are better. We miss you guys!

Jeni said...

Amber I'm so sorry. I'll keep your family in my prayers. Keep me posted.

Tiffany Feger said...

What?!? No fair. I hope it's all ok. I'm glad your doc is so good at catching things early and that you asked about the color blind test.

And that's a little girl from church. I said why not come over, what's one more! Her mom had a dentist appointment.

About Me said...

Better safe than sorry. I'm sure everything will work out well though.

Cameron said...

DUDE!!! When it rains it pours! I can totally empathize with lots of surgeries. Nathanael had so many - at least 4 by the time he was 4 yrs old.Most due to prematurity. It is so hard to see children have to go through it all, but things are better now. Zac's a fighter just like Nathanael! Hang in there!!